Today is Easter, and whether you celebrate it or not, it’s a great time for resurrecting, right? 🙂 Thanks to Whineless (day 3) for the great title.
You might think it’s hard to describe how great it is to be sober. Apparently Carrie (21) has no problem finding the words:
“Being sober is like the smell of freshly baked bread every morning when I wake up. It’s like the smell of fresh cut grass when I go outside. It feels like the last day of school as I go about my day. Like stretching your legs after a really long car journey when I get home. At the very end of my day, it’s like getting into bed when the sheets have just been cleaned. It’s like the white noise that you didn’t notice in the background of your thoughts suddenly stops. I can’t get enough of that silence. Being sober is all of this and with support it is even more. It’s when someone puts a blanket on you just as you are about to fall asleep. That’s you, that is. You do that.”
So how great is it to be sober? Her email got me thinking.
- It’s like a Sunday long run, where you get all the green lights, taxis stop to let you cross, and then you run along the water in a group of other runners
- It’s like when your husband makes you a tuna sandwich, because he does a better job, cuz he puts in bits of minced garlic
- It’s like eating the best piece of red velvet cake, on a holiday weekend, after your long run, reading a brand new magazine, with a cup of coffee
- It’s like a trip up the Eiffel Tower, a tour through the Vatican, a midnight walk across the Tower Bridge (with a full moon!).
- It’s like swimming in the ocean and then stretching out on a blanket to dry off in the sun
And you? Can you describe how great it is to be sober … “It’s like… [insert here]”
Happy Easter, or Happy Sunday, or Happy Whatever this day means to you 🙂 Love, me (274)