who i was before.
i will write more and do a podcast about my london trip over the next few days. today i have returned to a full laundry basket but Mr. Belle did make up my coffee before he left so i just had to press ‘start’ at 10 a.m. when i rolled out of bed (literally, the mattress is on the floor).
top 5 realizations about being in london for 5 days:
- holy lots of alcohol, batman. everyone. everywhere. i won’t soon forget the girl i saw in the restaurant bathroom at 9 pm on a friday night, being held up by her friend. planning how to get her home. “we’ll just say you don’t feel well, and we’ll leave. it’ll be fine. no one will mind. you don’t have to stay.”
- booze advertising galore. i did not see ONE tv ad for a car or a cold medicine. i saw many many ads for booze, and online video games. really.
- lots of places to run along the river – and lots of places to walk. hours of walking each day.
- began my bakery tour, and visited 2 per day, but that didn’t get me very far. each place i visited had ideas on what else i should see. random bakers (who i interrupted by just dropping in) were very kind to spend time with me, explaining what they did — sharing secrets and growth ideas and most popular items. Had the best doughnut of my entire life and then had to buy the matching cookbook. I know. really.
- it’s pretty overwhelming to meet up with 12 sober online friends. it’s one thing to email (or write this) in my jammies from my glass desk. It’s another thing entirely to walk into a room and know that they’re there to see you. and to match faces to names. and to make new connections and see some struggles and to share some tears. i had a large crying jag about half an hour before i entered the meetup, and a few minutes of terror at first, and then i was fine. i’m not anyone’s guru. i’m a human. and that two people flew in to see me was just too much to process (on the street, crying, with my husband, before i went in, and he said “they probably work for the airlines.” and one did. he always knows what to say)
i’ll be happily puttering away at my inbox messages today and tomorrow. i’ll be having quinoa and legumes for breakfast, lunch and dinner (doughnuts anyone?). i’ll be breaking in my new shoes. first pair of docs since 1990. i’m done with girly shoes. i really did try. cute trainers and little strappy things are just not for me. i’m going back to who i was before.